St. John’s Catholic Primary School will always endeavour to open and remain open. However, under exceptional circumstances we may have to close the school. For example, closures caused by adverse weather or where there is a potential impact involving health and safety issues. We know that it can be frustrating for parents but a decision to close the school is never taken lightly; the safety of our students and staff moving around the school grounds is of paramount importance and may become necessary.
Consideration must be given to:
- state of pathways, steps and slopes around the school;
- condition of roads and pathways in the local area;
- if the school’s heating, lighting and water is working correctly;
- whether catering can be provided;
- availability of public transport and school coaches, and
- weather forecast.
What happens if the school decides to close overnight?
- A text message will be sent out to all parents/guardians and staff at the earliest opportunity; we aim at approximately 7.30am.
- A notice will be placed on the school website www.st-johns-greathaywood.staffs.sch.uk and on the Staffordshire County Council website http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/schoolclosures.
- Where possible, a message will be placed on the school gates.
What happens if the school decides to close during the school day?
- Children will not be sent home unless the Head Teacher is confident of their ability to make the journey safely. Every effort will be made to accommodate children who cannot return home before the end of the school day.
- In severe weather, we understand that parents may decide that it is not safe or practical to attend school, or that they need to collect their child early. Please contact the school office if this is the case.
- A text message will be sent out to all parents/guardians notifying any concerns we may have or decisions made.
- A notice will be placed on the school website www.st-johns-greathaywood.staffs.sch.uk and on the county council website http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/schoolclosures.
Other useful sources of information that can provide the latest known details are local media and radio.
Please contact the school if you have any concerns or questions.