Making a Strong Start using Read Write Inc.
From the Summer term of Nursery, we use Read Write Inc. Phonics which is a highly successful English programme. The Read Write Inc. Phonics programme is carefully matched to the curriculum, giving every child at St John's the best chance of success.
Children will be introduced to the initial sounds in short five minute sessions.
In Reception all children will learn how to ‘read’ the sounds in words speedily and how those sounds can be written down. Those who are ready will begin to read and write simple words within books.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts – see below
- learn to read words using Fred talk and sound blending
- read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
- work well with partners
- learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
- learn to write words by using Fred Talk
- learn to build sentences by practising sentences out loud before they write
The children work in pairs so that they:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking and reading to each other
- develop ambitious vocabulary
These are the Set 1 Speed Sounds written with one letter:
m a s d t i n p g o c k u b f e l h r j v y w z x
These are the sounds written with two letters (your child will call these ‘special friends’):
sh th ch qu ng nk ck
Set 1 Sounds are taught in order together with rhymes to help children form the letters correctly and instantly recognise sounds ready for blending.